@taleethersaurus asked about my desktop configuration so I thought I’d share as I’d been meaning to do a blog post on it for a while.
- 15” macbook pro
- Laptop stand - Ikea
- Monitor - samsung
- Wacom tablet - medium (I don’t use a mouse at all due to wrist issues, since using the wacom I haven’t had any of the pain I used to get, although I do still keep a mouse on my desk)
- Mac keyboard (typing on the MBP at this angle is too awkward)
- Belkin 7 port usb hub (behind the folders in the corner, everything is wired to this (keyboard, wacom, harddrives) so when I want to couch with the laptop, I only have one usb cord to unplug
- Harddrives (off camera on the shelves to the right, I have 7 harddrives, 2 are old ones pulled from my old pc, 1 is a dodgy brand I don’t trust and the others are Western Digital 1 & 2tb that I use for both manual and Timemachine backups)
- Speakers are Altec Lansing but to be honest I’m too lazy to ever plug them in and just listen via the laptop speakers, I should really fix that habit! Otherwise I go the Skullcandy headphones
- Monitor stand is a Collins dictionary wrapped in brown paper - only thing I could find that was the perfect height
- Magnet boards are from Ikea, one wrapped in patterned wrapping paper, the other in brown paper
- On the right I have a small shelf which houses the harddrives, printer, stacks of magazines, pots of pens and various other bits and pieces
- Cat - Marley
- lens - Canon IS 70-200mm L f2.8, not normally housed on my desk (we have a camera cupboard for all the bits and pieces) but I just plonked it there after shooting on the weekend and haven’t filed it away yet.
- other lens (on the side shelf) is actually a mug that I got for xmas but haven’t used yet due to hot hot summer weather, I’ll be whipping it out in winter for sure!
And that’s it! I try to be minimal but it’s rare that it works out that way.
Let me know if there’s anything else you’re curious about.
I’m not a jack of all trades, I’m a creative.
I’ve just launched the redesign, tidy up, uber clarifying version of my main website - kristenashton.com and refreshed this tumblr to match.
It’d been bothering me for a while that firstly, the theme I’d previously been using had unexpectedly borked and secondly, that it wasn’t entirely clear who I was and what I did. I’ve been told that I do too many things, that I’ll scare people off because they’ll think I’m a jack of all trades, master of none.
Y’know what? I’m not a jack of all trades. I’m the girl who grew up spending more time designing the cover page of my assignments than doing the actual assignments. I’m the girl who always had a camera in my bag, ready to shoot photos of the nearest pretty leaf, textured bark or rollicking good night out with friends. I’m the girl who designed endless websites about nothing at all just for the fun of it, all coded in notepad. I’m the girl who loved bands and always took my camera along for the ride.
And who did that girl turn into? A designer AND a photographer.
And what’s wrong with that? They’re both creative fields, I’m a creative person and they both relate directly to each other.
Sometimes I scare people even further with the fact that I do both live music photography AND weddings. I’ve been told to hide one or the other aspect, not mention it or just plain pretend I’m someone I’m not. Are they vastly different fields? Sure. Do they relate to one another? HELLS YES. I’ve said this over and over, but a wedding is just like a music festival - long, hard, tiring but ultimately enjoyable, heaps of fun and you get awesome photos at the end of the day. Sure you could hire the nearest “I love LOVE and want to capture your special day” photographer to take your wedding photos, but if you want something a little less generic, someone who sees things a little differently and loves to get just plain awesome photos? You’ll hire ME.
So that’s that.
I’m a designer. I design websites. I don’t build them, I have my buddy Nathan for that.
I’m a photographer. I shoot weddings, portraits AND live music.
And guess what? I’m available for hire :)
@kyza shooting @parkwayofficial tonight at Brisbane Riverstage
Tonight we got our hardcore on and shot The Devil Wears Prada and Parkway Drive. She teases me about it but I always take a shot of Kylie shooting whenever we’re at something together.
Photos of the show to come!